Auto reconnect to last server used

For setting up a user friendly multi-room audio system it would be very helpful if there was an optional auto-reconnect to the last server used.

Otherwise if you shut the server down (which you might usually do at night and also which is practically unavoidable anyway when you’re using Windows as a host) you would need to reconnect each client again manually.

This feature would even allow to to use an Android TV box (without screen attached) or a Raspberry Pi (running Android) as a streaming client.

5 Likes

Hey Rick,

At the moment, AudioRelay tries to reconnect for 5 minutes when you shutdown the server.
But if you have devices that are constantly plugged in, an option to indefinitely reconnect could maybe work for you?

Let me know if you have a more elegant solution in mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi Asapha,

thanks for your response requesting clarification.

Yes, exactly this, an option to indefinitely attempting to reconnect.

Even more useful with an option to auto-start the app on Android after reboot and immediately trying to reconnect.

These two options together would make the app really useful for use as a multi-room streamer.

SoundWire has exactly these options, which is why I fell back on SoundWire for the time being, until AudioRelay covers this. But AudioRelay also has its merits and is actively in development, that’s why in the long run I would love to migrate towards it.

An conceivable further advance would be if the client permanently sends a beacon when it is ready to establish a connection and the connection could then be initiated by the server.
This allows the user to make a selection from the server as to which rooms are to be supplied with the signal.

6 Likes

Hi,

I will migrate from Soundwire to Audiorelay as soon as this option will be activated!
It is definitively necessary with an Android TV when I switch off my PC.

4 Likes

Even more useful with an option to auto-start the app on Android after reboot and immediately trying to reconnect.

I think this is more feasible, as I can then program my android phone to automatically open the app when it detects it is connected to my computer. At the moment I have to plug in my phone then manually connect it via manual access / wirelessly over Your Phone Companion.

Loving this so far, it skips the step of having to connect my bluetooth hearing aids to the computer and my phone back and forth. If this feature is implemented then I have a streamlined way to listen to the computer as soon as I sit down and connect my phone.

2 Likes

As mentioned in the posts above, although a bit dated Soundwire already does this perfectly, I have it running on multiple devices from Android 4.4 till 10 with no issues

1 Like

This is the one missing feature Audio Relay needs to be perfect.

3 Likes

This is the one thing I need.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have it try reconnecting only when you connect to a network?
That’s how I’m trying to automate it now with Tasker. Because for me it only disconnects, when I walk to far from the WiFi AP.
With Tasker, I would have to use touch inputs to start connection. Unless I can do it with a shell command? Not familiar with these things.

I already have it set up to automatically connect to WiFi ADB whenever I connect to my network, so having the audio come over ADB (I think I saw you mention you might implement that in a different post), would be great for me.

Would it be possible to have it try reconnecting only when you connect to a network?

Right now, it shouldn’t be possible to do besides using touch inputs like you said.

There’s a request for Tasker integration (automation). But there’s not a lot of demand for it yet.

I’ll tackle the reconnect feature after shipping the microphone/server on android one.

2 Likes

Hi Asapha,
the option to remember the server and auto reconnect indefinitely to a server is required, for now it would be sufficient to allow the timeout to be increased. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would it be possible to have it automatically do a search for servers when a USB device is plugged in, and reconnect to a specified server?
I use AudioRelay with USB Tethering usually, so this would be very helpful if it’s possible.

I have version of 0.24.9 of audio player in android. It does not seem to reconnect every 5 minutes! It immediatly finds the server but does not reconnect. when I take my phone away from my laptaop it disconnects and every time I get back, I should connect my client on phone to the server in laptop manually. It would be very nice if there is an option that allows the client to reconnect immediately once it detects the previously connected server.

Any news about this requets?

1 Like

Hey Asapha,

We all love AudioRelay and are very grateful for all the work you put in audiorelay.

I think I speak for most people here that we would really appreciate it if this autoconnect feature (on server and client side when you restart both devices … at the same time or with some time in-between) would have a high priority.
Its almost 2 1/2 years since it was suggested by Rick.

You can even deliver it as premium feature for Android devices …
And even as premium feature for the Windows Application as soon as you have implemented a payment procedure there.

It’s a really important feature and I wouldn’t be surprised if many people shy away from AudioRelay because this is missing.

Keep up the great work. Thx.

I am a new user and audiorelay fits the bill completely… EXCEPT that it doesn’t have an auto connect to last server.

I have this installed in a headless Windows machine that is running Roon Core and connected to a border patrol DAC. In addition to Roon, I want to stream web radio and YouTube audio from my phone using this app.

But without auto connect feature, I have to manually connect with Remote Desktop Connection from a different computer to click the button to connect to the server every time. :pleading_face:

Using this piece of genious software to enable mic when streaming games from my PC to my ROG Ally handheld device. It’s a bit tedious to manually start the server via remote desktop each time I want to use it though. Upvoted for this feature.

and add a “usb” whenever usb and tethering enabled