Run AudioRelay from the command line (Headless, CLI, no GUI)

Please comment below how this would help you. :+1:

1 Like

Just posted about this for rpi support – but a CLI setup guide with remote management from a server (connect/manage devices remotely) would be great.

1 Like

CLI would be useful as I have a lot of icons in the system tray and it would probably help reduce the clutter.

I haven’t really thought about this since my personal use was only on my Windows desktop PC <-> android smartphone so far. But recently I thought about a way to get sound off of a raspberry pi with raspbian lite installed and didn’t even think about Audiorelay.
So while I have no active need for it, it would be a neat solution for some projects/problems down the line. On windows I would personally keep using the GUI version though since the “minimize to system tray” option is enough for me.

I could see it being really nice for implementing some sort of live streaming service on a linux box somewhere. With multiple connections on premium you could probably get some pretty decent syncing across a lot of devices.

I just set up a Raspberry Pi 3 as a Kodi box running Xbian. AudioRelay, if it even works on RPi, would not be possible to run on these Kodi-oriented operating systems without first installing a display server. This doesn’t really make sense for an embedded Kodi device. A CLI solution for AudioRelay would allow for far greater flexibility than Bluetooth both in terms of scalability and function in this context where running the GUI app is not already possible.

I have a project where I would use audiorelay on an audio hub of sorts and that hub would be on a headless machine controlled with a simple rest api.

It would be faster to launch the server from the terminal

Would def be really useful.

i thought this was already available :thinking: i autostart audiorelay with a command without gui on boot using my window manager’s api call

awful.spawn.with_shell("~/audiorelay-0.25.7/bin/AudioRelay --minimized")

Is possible to run this tool in linux without GUI.

like,
run autorelay -s -i 198.256.0.5

The app currently does not support running in headless mode, adding this would make the app more useful when using an embedded device, a raspberry pi etc. This would also reduce resource usage because of the electron frontend the app uses and users would not have to be careful to not close audiorelay when closing windows they do not need.
This can be accomplished by simply having a arguement such as “–headless” or “-headless” and can be automatically started on boot up using a Systemd service on linux (guide: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-systemd-service-unit-in-linux), you can make it start up automatically on windows by putting a shortcut of the exe with the arguement “–headless” in ‘C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp’, I am not sure how to do this in Mac OS.

I think headless mode would be very nice, but minimizing to tray would be a welcome start for me too

The app consumes quite lot of memory on macos.

On windows, its around 120mb if I run the app in “headless mode”. (clicking hide in the tool bar)… it isn’t true headless but it brings RAM usage from 180mb to 120mb.

On macos it’s different story tho. The app uses 500~700mb RAM at any given moment. Is it possible to lower it ? One easy solution would be to run the app without GUI if possible, but I can’t seem to find cmd args.

is there any update on the headless mode for this?

i would really like to use it to stream audio from an rtl-sdr receiving on a raspberry pi, it would be an extremely useful feature of this software