No system sound but white noise in Linux to Android

I have just shifted from Windows to Ubuntu and miss using my phone as a sound card for my PC.
In Ubuntu, when I connect my phone through a data cable, it makes a shrilled white noise and also it sounds like it’s coming from the laptop’s mic.
Please help me to get it to work. I’ll be really grateful.

Does the issue still persist for you? Any advice on how to tackle it?

Use Helvum and wire the output like this:
If you want reduced latency, you can wire app outputs directly (make sure to disconnect the main audio output first to avoid duplicated audio).

You can get Helvum from Flathub.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately my Ubuntu malfunctioned. I am now back to Windows but will install it again in May. I will keep this solution in mind!

Hi! I took out some time to test out a distro. I installed the app and have also installed Helvum as you instructed. The default connect happens in this manner. But I still get the white noise.

Since the connection has to be from Built-in Audio Analog Stereo which has playback_FL and FR in it, I tried to remove the connections from the capture_FL and FR and instead linked it from monitor_FL and FR to ALSA input FL & FR. But it still was giving the same White noise.

Please note that all this is happening on a fresh install of a Linux distro. There have been no changes made prior.

Change the connection to this instead

1 Like

Hey as I was tinkering in pavucontrol, I tried changing the RtAudio in the Recording Tab. I changed it from Built in analog Audio to Monitor of Built in Analog audio.
This time I was testing it with KDE Neon Live installer. In Helvum, the blocks as shown in your image and my previous image was not coming. I don’t know what could be the reason.

But looks like this is my solution. I just need to change the Recording tab’s entry from Built in analog Audio to Monitor of Built in Analog audio. This does the trick immediately and I stop hearing the white noise.
I think your solution does it in the same manner but using a more intuitive GUI.

Previously I was trying it on OpenSuSe Tumbleweed’s Live Installer and Helvum showed those components. Very strange! But I guess the same solution will also work for any other Linux OS! And last time as per your first image, I was trying to connect it incorrectly. In your second image, you made it clear!

Thank you so much for your time and effort!!