Linux: AudioRelay only has PC inputs(mic) available for streaming

Does the list show more entries if you scroll down?
There’s probably a device called monitor of XXX.
(A scrollbar would be great!)

Otherwise, can you select monitor of XXX in volume control?

That was the extent of the list. This is because you are using PortAudio as your library for accessing the various platform sound APIs. PortAudio does not have support for the pipewire native API and your application is expecting monitors to be present when pipewire does not create them by default. (pipewire emulates Pulseaudio for legacy applications)

Ref: PipeWire backend for better user experience on Linux · Issue #425 · PortAudio/portaudio · GitHub

Also, pipewire would be in this applications best interest as it was also written to be a replacement for JACK, pipewire has inherently lower latency than Pulseaudio.

The work around at this time is to create virtual sinks and direct everything manually. It works. But it is annoying and not persistent.

So I’ve tried to replace PulseAudio by PipeWire in an Ubuntu VM.
The sound system seems ok and AudioRelay correctly sees a monitor.

The lack of PulseAudio devices from your list could imply that you don’t have the pulse-related packages installed. (e.g: pipewire-pulse)
Could that be the case?
What distro are you using by the way?

If you’re using pw-loopback, there are some instructions here to persist the virtual devices. (I couldn’t try them myself, the command doesn’t work on my setup :frowning: )

Installation details

For reference, just in case.

Since installing PipeWire, pavucontrol makes the sound crash when I open it, the pw-loopback mentioned here hangs but pactl commands work.

I’ve followed these instructions.

% lsb_release -a
Description:	Ubuntu 21.04

% systemctl --user status pipewire-pulse.service
pipewire-pulse.service - PipeWire PulseAudio
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.service; enabled; ven>
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-11-18 18:13:24 CET; 18min ago
TriggeredBy: â—Ź pipewire-pulse.socket
   Main PID: 3951 (pipewire-pulse)
     CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/[email protected]/session.slice/pipewi>
             └─3951 /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse

%  systemctl --user status pulseaudio.service
â—Ź pulseaudio.service - Sound Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service; enabled; vendor >
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: â—Ź pulseaudio.socket

% pactl info | grep 'Server Name'
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.39)

Apologies, the behavior I was experiencing was related to the mis-linked version of 0.22.2 leading me to a non-pulse version of AR. This as you can imagine caused many problems and sent me along the wrong path to debugging the issue. I am correctly getting monitors when I have the PA-version running.

Ok, thanks for letting know.
Does that mean that you installed 0.22.2 because 0.22.1 crashed like mentioned in the other post?
And that the PA-version fixes this crash?

I only selected the version in the forums because there was a possible crash. Not because I was experiencing one. However, I have been using audiorelay as my primary audio device from my Linux desktop with no crashes to speak of. Gentoo Linux, Pipewire, AudioRelay-pulse. My original issue is resolved.

1 Like